Monday, May 4, 2009

Buying discounted dairy



Did you know the date on dairy products is the "Sell by" date? Dairy products are GUARANTEED to last for 7 days past that date. How do I know this? My dad has been in the grocery business for 31 years. That means if you have a problem with it you can take it in and get your money back. So by purchasing those marked down dairy products you really have nothing to lose.

Each store has a certain time they usually mark down their products. Usually in the morning but I have found my Smith's does it mid-day. The trick is to find out when they do this and plan your shopping trip accordingly. Most stores markdown products that have today's or tomorrow's date. They price it very low so it will sell because once the date is past although it is still fine to consume they no can longer sell it.

Today I ran into Smith's and got some great deals on dairy. I got 3 1/2 gallons of Meadow Gold Over the Moon milk for $.75 each, 2 1/2 gallons of generic chocolate milk for .99 each, and 1/2 gallon of Tropicana for $1.49. They also had 1/2 gallons of organic for $.99 and tons more! In the past at my dad's store (Ridleys an Associated Food store in Hyrum) I've gotten Yoplait yogurt for $.25 and sour cream and cottage cheese for $.50. The great thing is these prices can be combined with coupons!

Look for the same markdowns in the meat department. Mandy has some great info on her blog about that here. I have found Albertson's marks down their meat first thing in the morning and instead of a markdown sticker they have coupons for dollars off on theirs. They also mark theirs down sometime 3 days before the pull-date. The other day I got 3lbs of chicken for $.87!


Another great deal at Smith's this week is cheese. They have a 5lb bag of grated cheddar/Jack for $7.99. That's $1.60/lb! Cheese freezes wonderfully. I put mine in 1lb baggies and froze. This price is good through Saturday May 9 .

No comments:

Post a Comment