Monday, March 9, 2009

Got Potatoes?


A couple of weeks ago I found myself in a situation with A LOT of potatoes. So I really have no where good to keep them. We have a mouse problem in the basement here. Not that mice eat potatoes but I have moved all food upstairs cuz it just grosses me out. Also it is SOOOOO cold here. Our highs have been in the 30's and we've still been having single digits at night so the garage is not a good place unless I want a bunch of frozen rock solid potatoes. The solution I came up with was to cook half of them and freeze. A great way to do this is to make twice baked potatoes
First bake your potatoes.
Cut in half and scrape out the centers.
Mix with cheese, sour cream, butter, milk, chives, whatever you like.
Stuff the skins.
Top with cheese and chives or whatever you like

Then I freeze them all on a cookie sheet in my chest freezer.



When they are frozen I put five in a quart size freezer bag for future dinners.

These can be reheated in the microwave or oven.
In the store you can buy the cheap twice baked potatoes for $1 on sale if you're lucky and you get 2 in a box. Mine cost .04 cents each or .20 cent for my family of 5 and I didn't have to throw away any potatoes in a month from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment